Hey there! Let me tell you a little fun fact about myself: I love online shopping. My husband would say that I’m addicted, but I think that is being a bit extreme 😉 I actually prefer online shopping a million times more than “real” shopping. I went shopping at the mall the other day and to be honest, I felt completely overwhelmed… it’s just not my cup of tea 🙂 I realize that some of you may feel the same way about online shopping. If you’re feeling overwhelmed and a little unsure about it, keep reading as I’ve got some tips that will help you have a better online experience.
- Shop around– most everyone wants to find the best deal. I like to utilize comparison websites to ensure I’m getting the best price available. I use ShopStyle and Polyvore most. I personally use ShopStyle more frequently as they have the option to be notified when something goes on sale!
- Online only exclusives– online stores don’t have space limitations like a physical store does, so they tend to offer more choices. Often times they’ll feature “online exclusive” items that are only available online. I’ve found a lot of good items this way and I like knowing that fewer people are going to have the same thing as me. Also, make sure you sign up for email promotions as stores tend to send you exclusive coupons and codes for your next purchase.
- Check sizing chart and/or dimensions– I know that checking dimensions on clothing sounds a little weird, but a lot of times they’ll have them listed. This helps to see if something is going to be long enough, short enough, etc. Most stores also have a sizing chart where they’ll tell you which size you are based on your measurements. Sometimes if I’m unsure of the sizing or haven’t shopped with that particular store before, I’ll buy 2 sizes and return whichever one didn’t work out. Also, read the reviews! People are very honest when leaving their reviews on items. Taking time to read these helps you know what the sizing is like as well as the color, quality, etc.
- Add to cart, but don’t check out– stores obviously want you to make a purchase. If you put items in your cart, but don’t check out, you may receive “hey, you left something in your cart” along with a coupon to complete your purchase. You’re probably going to buy it anyways, but you may as well see if you can get a discount! The key to this is to make sure you’re signed into your account and you’ve opted to receive special offer notifications.
- Free shipping– most shipping is free, but check before placing your order as you may need to spend a certain amount to qualify for free shipping. As more and more stores are offering free shipping, you will see the minimum get lower and lower. Nothing makes me happier than checking out and seeing “free shipping”!
- Check what the return policy is– this is the most important tip! Please make sure you read the stores return policy. You never want to get something, change or mind or find out that it doesn’t fit and then realize you are unable to return it. Also, most the time you can return it to the store and don’t have to return it online (saves on return shipping fees), so check for that as well.
- Get rewarded– most stores have some sort of “Reward Program” where you earn points for every dollar you spend and receive rewards based off of what you spend at the end of each month. I also use Ebates where if you sing up, you can earn points and get cash back on purchases you were going to make anyways.
Now that you’re feeling more confident about online shopping, go ahead and shop some great fall picks below! Thanks for reading; have a fAB day.
Madewell- my new favorite store!
Express- always great finds and prices!
Old Navy- you can’t go wrong with anything from Old Navy.